Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Armor of God - Belt of Truth

I've just started a new series of letters to send to my sponsored kids. This series is on the Armor of God and last month I sent an introductory letter. This month I'm focusing on the belt of truth.  As always, feel free to use this in any way that is helpful.


Hello friend! How are you?

In my last letter I introduced you to the Bible passage from Ephesians 6:10-18. I would encourage you to read those verses regularly - every day even. You can read them as a prayer. When I was younger I read them every morning with my mom before going to school. When we got to verse 13 and it says to stand, we would stand. Then we would start pretending to put on the pieces of armor that are listed in the following verses. 

Today I want to talk about the belt of truth, which is the first piece of armor listed in these verses. Do you have a belt or have you ever worn a belt? I'll be honest...I don't love wearing a belt because it can be uncomfortable, but sometimes it really helps me keep my pants or skirt up and that's important! 

I like the image of wrapping our waists in truth. When we put truth in place like a belt, we keep everything else in place! For a soldier wearing armor, the belt served as a place for them to hang their sword. If you read ahead in these verses a little bit, you'll see that the sword of the Spirit is described as the Word of God. John 17:17 says "Sanctify them by your truth. Your Word is truth."

When we know what God's Word says, we know truth and we can stand firm in that truth in times of trouble. I don't know about you, but I find this very encouraging. Just like a belt holds everything together, so does the truth. In John 14:6 Jesus says, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."  And in Colossians 1:17 Paul tells us "He is before all things and in him all things hold together."

Jesus is our truth. Jesus holds all things together. 




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...